HEALTHY EATING HABITS: A Balanced Plate
Healthy eating means eating a variety of foods that give you the nutrients you need to maintain your health, feel good, and have energy. These nutrients include protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals. We need to be deliberate about our daily eating habits. This is so essential in the selection of foods, we take for promoting health, preventing disease and maintaining or losing weight.
Healthy eating provides the sustained energy you need to be physically active. Basically, for you to actively partake in a healthy eating habit, you must be familiar with your body system. Knowing what to eat in the morning, noon and night that makes you stay fit and active.
Here are some tips to building healthy eating habits:
- Eat varieties of vegetable (3 or more servings a day).
- Eat varieties of fruit (2 or more servings a day).
- Eat whole-grain, high-fiber breads and cereals (3 to 6 servings a day).
- Choose from a variety of low-fat sources of protein — including eggs, beans, poultry without skin, seafood, and soy products.
- If you eat meat, eat white meat at least four times more often than red meat.
- Use vegetable oils.
- Restrict or eliminate “junk food”.
- Restrict or eliminate sodas and other sugar-added drinks that are high in calories and contain few or no nutrients.
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation.